I am sorry 對不起, my fault 我的錯

Dear friends,

Here is the Chinese lesson I have just created today, it all about the basic phrase "I am sorry" with several variations:

The first 3-character phrase is very basic, it's "I am sorry" in modern Chinese.

I am sorry

對不起

and the second part of the sentence is "my fault"

my fault
我的錯


Now we can make a little variation about the "I am sorry" phrase as following:

I'm so sorry
我很對不起

the structure is:

我 (I) + 很 (very) + 對不起 (sorry)

note: the 3-character word 對不起 (sorry) is an adjective in this sentence, not an independent 3-character phrase "I am sorry" any more.

and the second part "my fault" becomes:

It's all my fault
都是我的錯

the structure is:

都 (all) + 是 (is) + 我的 (my) + 錯 (fault)


Now let's introduce another 2-character Chinese word about sorry, 抱歉 (pronounced bào-qiàn)

The "I am sorry" phrase then becomes:

I'm very sorry
我很抱歉

the structure is:

我 (I) + 很 (very) + 抱歉 (sorry)


Here is the 2-character Chinese word 道歉, apologize (used as verb, pronounced dào-qiàn), is the combination of the character 道 (to say) and 歉 (sorry).

I apologize to you.
我向你道歉

我 (I) + 向 (to) + 你 (you) + 道歉 (apologize)


Again, here is a longer version for the last phrase 我很抱歉(I'm very sorry), I add a modern Chinese adverb 真的 (really) to strengthen the "very sorry" part:

I'm really sorry
我真的很抱歉

我 (I) + 真的(really) + 很 (very) + 抱歉 (sorry)

and finally, the 2-character Chinese word 原諒 (forgive, pronounced yuán-liàng) is here:

Please forgive me.
請你原諒我

請 (please) + 你 (you) + 原諒 (forgive) + 我 (me)

note: in Chinese, 我 (I), 我 (me) are the same no matter used as a subject or object in a sentence.

Thanks for reading my blog, please feel free to check the analysis of the phrases and vocabulary of this lesson via the webpage:

Please subscribe my YouTube channel for more updated Chinese lessons. Thank you very much!

Regards,

Andres Leo




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

mā, má, mǎ, mà, ma Mandarin pinyin five tunes practice

bā, bá, bǎ, bà, ba Mandarin pinyin five tunes practice

lend/borrow 借 the same Chinese word