taller than me 比我高, shorter than me 比我矮


Dear friends,

Today we are going to learn the Chinese adjective words 高(tall), 矮(short), 胖(fat), 瘦(slim), and the 2-character words for brothers and sisters, 哥哥(elder brother), 弟弟(younger brother), 姊姊(elder sister), 妹妹(younger sister). Please watch the following video:


The 1st phrase, said by the younger brother:

taller than me

比我高
bǐ wǒ gāo

比(compare) + 我(me) + 高(tall)


My elder brother is taller than me.
我哥哥比我高
Wǒ gē-ge bǐ wǒ gāo

我(my) + 哥哥(elder brother) + 比(compare) + 我(me) + 高(tall)


note: here is no Be verb "is" in the Chinese sentence, since it's not necessary in this type of phrase. 


The 2nd phrase, said by the elder brother:

shorter than me

比我矮
bǐ wǒ ǎi

比(compare) + 我(me) + 矮(short)



My younger brother is shorter than me.

我弟弟比我矮
Wǒ dì-di bǐ wǒ ǎi

我(my) + 弟弟(younger brother) + 比(compare) + 我(me) + 矮(short)

note: please check the pronunciation (from video) of this kind of 2-same-character word 哥哥(gē-ge, elder brother) and 弟弟(dì-di, younger brother), the 2nd character is always in light tone with the Chinese pronunciation.



The 3rd phrase, said by the younger sister:



fatter than me

比我胖
bǐ wǒ pàng

比(compare) + 我(me) + 胖(fat)

note: when I was creating the video draft of this lesson, I used the relative adjective words likes: 高(tall), 矮(short), 胖(fat), 瘦(slim), the Chinese word 胖(fat) is not a negative word, it just means the weight of body is a little (or lot, the worse word is 肥(fat)) more than normal state, and that's it, just a normal adjective word to describe the shape of a human body.

My elder sister is fatter than me.
我姊姊比我胖
Wǒ jiě-jie bǐ wǒ pàng

我(my) + 姊姊(elder sister) + 比(compare) + 我(me) + 胖(fat)


The 4th phrase, said by the elder sister:

slimmer than me
比我瘦
bǐ wǒ shòu

比(compare) + 我(me) + 瘦(slim)



My younger sister is slimmer than me.

我妹妹比我瘦
Wǒ mèi-mei bǐ wǒ shòu

我(my) + 妹妹(younger sister) + 比(compare) + 我(me) + 瘦(slim)

note: please check the pronunciation (from video) of this kind of 2-same-character word 姊姊(jiě-jie, elder sister) and 妹妹(mèi-mei, younger sister), the 2nd character is always in light tone with the Chinese pronunciation.



Please check the analysis of the phrases and vocabulary of this lesson from my database site:


Thanks for reading my blog and please remember to subscribe my YouTube channel for encouragement.

You are welcome to follow my Facebook via:

It is the first please I post the newest video before I editing the web edition and writing the updated blog article here.

Wish you all have a nice weekend!

Regards,

Andres Leo




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

mā, má, mǎ, mà, ma Mandarin pinyin five tunes practice

bā, bá, bǎ, bà, ba Mandarin pinyin five tunes practice

lend/borrow 借 the same Chinese word