Where do you live? 你住哪裡


Dear friends,

In the lesson today, we will learn the Chinese word 住(live, reside, lodge), several meanings in English, yet they are all the same in Chinese. Please watch the following video:


The first phrase is a question:

Where do you stay?

你住哪裡
Nǐ zhù nǎ-lǐ

你 + 住 (reside) + 哪裡(where)


and the reply phrase is:

I stay at a hotel.
我住在酒店
Wǒ zhù zài jiǔ-diàn

我 + 住(reside) + 在(at) + 酒店(hotel)

note: the Chinese verb 住(reside) means staying in a temporary place, is the same as the Chinese verb 住(live) which we are going to mention latter.

the 2-character word:

hotel
酒店
jiǔ-diàn

酒店(hotel) = 酒(wines, liquors) + 店(store)

It's not a liquor store, it the hotel! which is commonly used today, originally from Hong Kong I think. The traditional version of hotel is 旅館, which is used in Taiwan, the very base of the traditional Chinese characters. Nowadays 酒店(hotel, not liquor store) is generally used in China.


The next sentence "I live at home with my parents" is a longer version, I just separate it into two phrases:

the first phrase:

I live at home..
我住家裡
Wǒ zhù jiā lǐ

我(I) + 住(live) + 家裡(home)

Here the Chinese verb 住(live) is the same as the previous one 住(reside) in Chinese, only the English translation is different.

the 2-character word:

home
家裡
jiā lǐ

家(home) + 裡(inside)

We must use the 2-character words 家裡(home) to emphasize the "inside 裡" of a home, this is the Chinese expression way, people live at home (inside home, 家裡) or move out (outside 外面) and live by themselves.

the second phrase:

live with my parents
和我的父母一起住
hé wǒ de fù mǔ yì-qǐ zhù

和(with) + 我的(my) + 父母(parents) + 一起(together) + 住(live)


There are two parts of this phrase, the first part:

with my parents
和我的父母
hé wǒ de fù mǔ

和(with) + 我的(my) + 父母(parents)


and the second part:

live together
一起住
yì-qǐ zhù

一起(together) + 住(live)


Finally, the last two sentences:

I have my own place.
我住在外面
Wǒ zhù zài wài-miàn

我(I) + 住(live) + 在(at) + 外面(outside)

note: the 2-character Chinese adverb 外面(outside) dose not mean "live outside" (where? yard? patio?), it's the Chinese expression way, people live at home (inside home, 家裡) or move out (outside 外面) and live by themselves.

I live by myself.
我自己一個人住
Wǒ zì-jǐ yí-gè rén zhù

我(I) + 自己(self) + 一個人(alone) + 住(live)

Here is the Chinese idiom:

alone
一個人
yí-gè rén

一個(one) + 人(person)


Please check the analysis of the phrases and vocabulary of this lesson via my site:


Thanks for reading my blog this time. Please remember to subscribe my YouTube channel for encouragement.

Have a nice day!

Andres Leo

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

mā, má, mǎ, mà, ma Mandarin pinyin five tunes practice

bā, bá, bǎ, bà, ba Mandarin pinyin five tunes practice

lend/borrow 借 the same Chinese word