behind 後面, ahead 前面, beside 旁邊


Dear friends,

The video lesson this time is about the relative position in Chinese adverbs like: behind 後面, ahead 前面, beside 旁邊, with some verbs 跟(follow), 走(walk), 站(stand) then we can create some short phrases such as "following behind 跟在後面", "walking ahead of 走在前面", "standing beside 站在旁邊." Please watch the following video for the lesson:





The 1st phrase for the relative position:



following behind
跟在後面
gēn zài hòu-miàn

跟(follow) + 在(at) + 後面(behind)

the words and pronunciations (red color pinyin):

follow
gēn

at
zài

behind
後面
hòu-miàn

後(behind, after) + 面(face, side)


Let's extend the phrase to 2 longer sentences for example:

She is following behind me.
她跟在我後面
Tā gēn zài wǒ hòu-miàn

她(she) + 跟(follow) + 在(at) + 我(me) + 後面(behind)


I am following behind her.
我跟在她後面
Wǒ gēn zài tā hòu-miàn

我(I) + 跟(follow) + 在(at) + 她(her) + 後面(behind)

the two subjects:

I, me

she, her

are the same as subject or object in Chinese grammar, so is another subject (object) which we don't mention in this lesson, 他(he, him), even the pronunciation is the same as 她(she, her)

he, him

note: the subject 她(she, her) actually only appears in modern Chinese since early 1900, by the translation from western literary works with the female subject She, Her. In classical Chinese there was only 他(he, him).


The 2nd phrase for the relative position:

walking ahead of
走在前面
zǒu zài qián-miàn

走(walk) + 在(at) + 前面(ahead)

the words and pronunciations (red color pinyin):

walk, go
zǒu

at
zài

ahead
前面
qián-miàn


Let's extend the phrase to 2 longer sentences for example:

I am walking ahead of her.
我走在她前面
Wǒ zǒu zài tā qián-miàn

我(I) + 走(walk) + 在(at) + 她(her) + 前面(ahead)


She is walking ahead of me.
她走在我前面
Tā zǒu zài wǒ qián-miàn


她(she) + 走(walk) + 在(at) + 我(me) + 前面(ahead)

again, the two subjects:

I, me

she, her

are the same as subject or object in Chinese grammar


Please check the analysis of phrases and vocabulary of this lesson via my database site:


The 3rd phrase for relative position:

standing beside
站在旁邊
zhàn zài páng-biān

站(stand) + 在(at) + 旁邊(beside)

the words and pronunciations (red color pinyin):

stand
zhàn

at
zài

beside
旁邊
páng-biān


Let's extend the phrase to 2 longer sentences for example: 

I am standing beside her.
我站在她旁邊
Wǒ zhàn zài tā páng-biān

我(I) + 站(stand) + 在(at) + 她(her) + 旁邊(beside)


She is standing beside me.
她站在我旁邊
Tā zhàn zài wǒ páng-biān

她(she) + 站(stand) + 在(at) + 我(me, my) + 旁邊(beside)


Here are two sources of reference for you to practice Chinese words and pinyin pronunciations:


List of all my video lessons (updating periodically):


Mp3 library for Chinese words and phrases (updating periodically):


Thanks for reading my blog articles, and please remember to subscribe my YouTube channel for encouragement. Thank you very much!


World Peace!
世界和平


Regards,


Andres Leo
Chinese Words Database

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

mā, má, mǎ, mà, ma Mandarin pinyin five tunes practice

bā, bá, bǎ, bà, ba Mandarin pinyin five tunes practice

lend/borrow 借 the same Chinese word